To provide outpatient and/or inpatient medical care (preventative and curative) according to adapted and updated medical knowledge, MSF protocols, values and universal hygiene standards and in multidisciplinary collaboration with expat team, other medical doctors and paramedical staff; overseeing admission, treatment and discharge planning for children from neonates to children 12 years of age.
To ensure transfer of skills and knowledge to junior colleagues and to paramedics in order to improve their skills and quality of work
Curative /clinical responsibilities:
- Take complete history, perform appropriate examination, diagnose and treat patients according to MSF guidelines and protocols
- Appropriate & timely management of paediatric/neonatal patients
- Adaptation and change of medical treatment according to patient’s evolution
- Adequate delivery of life-saving measures for emergency & life threatening conditions.
- Appropriate & timely intervention in stabilizing critically ill patients AND facilitating their transfer or referral when necessary
- Regular ward rounds for admitted paediatric/ neonatal patients as per roster in collaboration with medical team and if/when needed or requested
- Responsible for the care of the inpatient therapeutic feeding patients and consultation for the patients in the ambulatory therapeutic feeding program.
- Ensure transfer of skills and knowledge to junior MDs in the facility through ward rounds, case discussions, teaching tutorials, conducting different procedures etc.
- Appropriate triaging of patients and continuous prioritizing of workload
- Communicate any suspected public health problem (eg. Measles, meningitis, etc) to expat doctor and/or nurse
Human Resources Management:
- Organize the tasks of personnel under his/her responsibility, and participate and carry-out other team management activities (recruitment, training, performance evaluation, motivation, internal/external communication, etc.), in order to ensure having the appropriate team in terms of size, capabilities and skills.
- Support expat nurse and program doctor on HR management of national staff involved in the health program and report to the next in line with any issues in a timely manner (malpractice, misbehavior, absenteeism etc.) that affects service deliberation for immediate redress/attention
- Ensure that staff is complying with rules and regulations and protocols
- Ensure job descriptions of staff under her responsibility are correct, up to date and followed.
- Liaise with expat doctor regarding teaching/training plan for junior doctors as well as nursing and paramedical staff (devise and follow up)
- Ensure transfer of skills and knowledge to junior MDs in the facility through ward rounds, case discussions, teaching tutorials, conducting different procedures etc
Reporting and data collection:
- Ensure the collection of correct data and analysis of epidemiological data an required/requested for the program, checking its validity
- Liaise with expat doctor to coordinate weekly and monthly meetings, actively participate in weekly/ monthly and medical meetings, assist with the planning of program activities and give feedback to expat and national team concerning medical activities and collected data
- Make accurate and timely reports, written and verbal, about the patient’s condition and activity of the program; prepare the daily and weekly morbidity reports as requested
- Ensure proper fulfillment of administrative procedures and documents (fill in of patients files, forms, statistics, data base, etc.)
- Responsible for MSF equipment and materials and their correct use
- Check and control the rational distribution of medicines and equipment under his/her responsibility
- Reasonable use of investigative services (laboratory and diagnostic imaging)
- Ensure clean and safe environment for patients and staff
- Compliant with universal precautions and MSF Health Care Waste Management and hygiene procedures
- Keep up to date about new protocols, guidelines and up to date research
- Ensure the correct and timely ordering of required materials, including drugs/medication needed for the department, as required by the organization; prepare drug orders accordingly
- This position covers 24 hours services and will be shift based with oncalls, including evening, night and weekend, public holidays shifts
- Maintain good relationship with other colleagues, including MoH/ DoH staff in the hospital
- Collaborate with other departments in the project (responding to accident & emergency department requests, intervening in support of other services when needed, etc.)
- Communicate problems encountered to the supervisors and think creatively to find solutions to encountered problems
- Give an input on any other issue i.e. security that can affect the medical activities to the office and expatriate supervisor immediately.
- Contribute to the MSF identity, values and principles by reflecting, discussing and contributing to the advocacy mandate
- Represent MSF to the community and other agencies and attend meetings as required.
- Participate in any emergency activity or exploratory mission, in order to support the overall MSF project with his/her expertise and capabilities.
Specific Code of Conduct:
- Ensure no action or omission on her part places the patient at risk, including referring to others when she has reached the limit of her experience
- Does not accept gifts or money from her patients or their family for care provided.
- Upholds good medical practice, updates her knowledge regularly by reading and training.
- Maintain patient confidentiality at all time and respect patients as much as possible.
- Promote the policies and protocols of OCA, refrain from practicing out of regular working station and organization. Should not prescribe medications outside these policies for local purchase from the bazaar.
- Respect the rights of the Patients and caretakers in her care to be informed before any procedure or medication is given and the right to decline care or treatment, and the right to have a female family member for support.
- Maintain and promote a good attitude and proper manner towards patients, their attendants and the medical staff.
- Uphold universal precautions at all times during their practice in MSF medical facility.
- Minimum medical doctor degree (MBBS) with valid PMDC Registration
- Desirable experience working in pediatrics in patient department post specialization; previous experience in other NGO’s is an advantage.
- Experience in neonatology and emergency medicine beneficial
- Experience in preparing and presenting written reports and medical statistics is an advantage
- Proficient in English, Urdu and any other relevant local languages
- Basic computer knowledge•Strong clinical skills (IV management, Emergency interventions, etc) and willingness for continuous medical education
- Ability to perform specific procedures (LP, intra-osseuous, etc) and/or willingness to be trained to improve•Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Organized and disciplined work attitude, punctuality, time management and ability to work under stress
- Flexibility and adaptability to work in other MSF locations if necessary, in remote areas with marginalized communities, in case of emergencies to work longer hours, extra days to meet the needs of the program.
- Commitment to humanitarian values as outlined in the MSF Charter.
- No other professional commitment..
Female doctors are encouraged to apply
Career LevelExperienced Professional